I managed to pick three decent sized cabbages from my garden this week and lots of potatoes.
I usually use my potatoes for wedges mixed with a few spices and seasonings and a touch of oil to make delicious crispy wedges.
These cabbages I turned into a crispy, creamy coleslaw. Cut the cabbage finely or chuncky if you would prefer a chunky coleslaw. Add a grated carrot or two and slice an onion, I used a red but white would also work well. Add a squirt of oil and a dessertspoon of mayo. If you are after a crunchy twist had a packet of noodles and also add either the beef or chicken seasoning that comes with it.
Totally amazing ! ! ! ! !
And of course these healthy vegetables would be great for any dish.
Tomatoes are often used roasted, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper and a little garlic and some oil. Very juicy and mouth watering.
Ever heard of Zucchini and Chocolate cake? Totally amazing. I usually leave my Zucchini until I get marrows. Then I make this cake which adds a unique twist to an ordinary chocolate cake. The Zucchini complements the cake by making it very moist, and also it also takes away the richness so you cannot over indulge even after two or three pieces :)
A slice of Zucchini cake served with Greek yoghurt just tops it off perfectly.
(Will add a recipe later)
My new additions to my little vege patch. One of these is a capsicum plant perfect for salads and chutneys and I also have a similar one that is a cross between capsicum and a chili which has the texture of the capsicum and the appearance however it doesn't have the complete hotness as the chili's do but it still is quite hot.
The latter is very good for chutneys, stuffing and curries also.
The colour that they display in the photo to the left and above really is spectacular and more so watching them transform daily into their finished colour. The above photo was taken a few days ago and now it is almost completely red.
This Rhubarb originally a transplant from one root taken from mums place in Christchurch and now it is very big and I have had great fun picking loads of stalks this past year. I cut it up into pieces and freeze it and now just waiting for the right occasion to make a Rhubarb roll or some delicious dessert. I have added it several times to a crumble. Added together, Rhubarb, mixed berries, apples and pears and added a crumble to the top with lots of healthy nuts and chocolate served with Greek yoghurt.
No comments:
Post a Comment